Friday, September 19, 2008

September 19th, 2008

First Grade Field Trip to Oakwoods!

Caitlin had a field trip yesterday to Oakwoods Nature Preserve. I was elected to drive five first graders to the park. It was so fun to be in the front seat and listen the girls constant cackling and the boys discuss how they should switch seats on the return home. It was a field trip about bugs and when one of the station guides (pregnant at that) was letting a daddy long legged spider climb all over her, I was just hoping that she did not ask me to volunteer for that crazy circus act. On the return home we had to listen to the same song over and over and over because one of the boys loved it so much!

We had another soccer game last night in which it becomes an Olympic sport for me to walk across several fields, drag supplies for an 1 1/2 hours of entertainment, pass out constant snacks to the younger Koomens, socialize, and cheer on the redheaded soccer player. All the while Jason is on the sidelines trying to direct 6/7 year old girls where they need to be. It is so much fun, that by the time it is over I feel like I played the game with every bit of energy I had.

The best part of last night was taking the three kids to meet Jason's running group after the soccer game, which we were approaching the 8:00 p.m. eruption time (which is also known as bedtime). The meeting spot was at Buffalo Wild Wings, yes a restaurant. The kids held it better together than me, who ordered a simple dish of wings that took 25 minutes. I must not do well when I am starving. :)

Carson spent four hours of the day yesterday driving his gator non-stop. The front yard has been rolled compliments of our son. In between rides, he was playing church... collecting my money and giving me the host, and occasional bible reading. What a hoot.

It is a sweet day today with Caitlin having the day off. The breakfast table was hums of what they were going to do today. It included Carson dressing up in Caitlin's raincoat and boots to be a fireman. I decided he needs dress-up of his own, since he came upstairs dressed in purple leotard with his boxers on! I heard him tell Caitlin he loved her a lot at the breakfast table, and my heart sank. Her response, which I have to admit I was ready to reprimand, was "I love you more". It was a parental "ahh-hah" moment, and I could not have been more proud.

Carly is still being herself, the youngest most adored at the time. She is getting more teeth, hopefully since her two little lonely teeth are sick of doing all the work. She decides when it is a good time for her to walk or crawl. She climbs and stands on everything! Yes, I am going to need professional help to raise this child with patience.

We are off to get ready for daddy's big 33rd birthday tomorrow. Stay tuned for more Koomen humor.

No comments: